“Standardizing the way we do things is very important. In the end, it’s all about patient safety. It’s the high-reliability part that is so critical.” – Jim Lesnick, Neurosurgeon, SVP business and venture development, Riverside Health Systems – now retired.
Challenge: Endoscopes are powerful medical instruments that help doctors examine internal organs. Without careful cleaning, endoscopes can carry potentially dangerous bacteria from one patient to another, introducing a potential health risk.
Solution: The Riverside Health System/Index endoscope app will help medical staff visualize the specific cleaning procedures required by an endoscope manufacturer – thereby addressing a significant health and safety issue faced by hospitals. The app contains a standardized best practice that ensures new technicians are taught the precise way to safely clean an endoscope and reduce the risk of infection from a medical procedure.
- Best Practice process laid out in 84 vetted steps
- Part Identification for pre-visualization and worker familiarization
- Hands-free and touch screen use – foot pedal, voice command or touch screen
- Multi-modal content – text, voice, photos, videos, 3D and 2D graphics, augmented reality, 3D animation, safety, PPE and equipment warnings – all provided and imbedded just in time on the correct step, so the worker always works to the process regardless of how they learn – no drift
- Flexibility – app can be used for first time training, refresher training, performance of the task or all the above depending on client needs
- Ability to record and upload key performance metrics – Index does not collect any information but can provide this capability to a client